Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a copy of a Police Report?

Contact our office at (218) 847-4222 during weekday hours or stop by in person. Depending on what type of report it is, you may need to fill out some forms and there also may be a fee for copies and labor.

Data Privacy Laws specify what information we can release as public and what is considered private. Ask one our secretaries if you have further questions.


Are Fireworks illegal in Minnesota?

Some types of Fireworks are illegal in Minnesota.

Generally, if it is a device that explodes (including firecrackers) or shoots through the air like a rocket (self-propelled) or similar devices then they are illegal in Minnesota. Generally purchased fireworks outside of Minnesota are illegal here in Minnesota.

There are exceptions for public performances by trained, licensed pyro-technicians with special permits.
The best advice to avoid trouble is to purchase Fireworks from a Minnesota business as they are regulated to sell only Minnesota-legal Fireworks.
Violation is a misdemeanor that requires an appearance in court.

Is there a Curfew in Detroit Lakes?

Yes. Children under 16 years of age must be at home or with a parent by 10pm in the summer months from June-August. During the remainder of the year, it is 9:30 p.m.


Are there special Parking restrictions in Detroit Lakes?

Most parking regulations are restricted to Downtown Streets, City owned Parking lots such as the Shopping Mall and Downtown Crossing areas, City Parks, and other signed areas. Always check for signs or call the DL Police Department if you have a specific question.
All Minnesota State Laws regarding Parking, Standing, and Stopping apply within City Limits.

Are open containers of alcohol allowed?

No. Open containers of alcohol are illegal anywhere within city limits except for licensed establishments and private property.

This includes no alcohol in parks and beaches.

Open containers of alcohol are also prohibited by State Law in any motor vehicle.


Does the DLPD open locked vehicles?

No. Effective July 10th of 2013, we will no longer open vehicles unless there is a risk of bodily harm.

If you are locked out of your car; please contact one of the local locksmiths or tow-truck companies.


How long are the City Beach and Parks open? 

The City Beach and most City Parks close at 1:30 a.m.
There are a couple exceptions such as Long Lake Park that closes at dusk regardless of the time of year. Check for signs when you enter any park for hours. If none are listed, the area is closed after 1:30 a.m.

What should I do if I get pulled over?

  • Immediately pull your vehicle over at the safest location to do so upon the approach of any emergency vehicle displaying emergency lights.
  • Remain in your vehicle. Keep your hands on the wheel and don't reach for anything unless you are asked to do so.
  • Minnesota Law requires you to have your driver's license and proof of insurance available.
  • The Officer will explain the reason for the stop.
  • Other Law Enforcement Officers may arrive on scene or drive by during the traffic stop. This is normal procedure for officer safety.
  • All traffic stops are recorded with both audio and video for court purposes.



What is the Abatement Ordinance?

Each Spring, external properties are inspected by City Code inspectors and some Police Officers to ensure the property is not accruing excessive junk, weeds, vehicles that are not currently licensed, etc. The purpose behind this ordinance is to help keep property values consistent and not contribute to a nuisance in the neighborhood.

Those found in violation will be given a limited amount of time to correct the violation before the matter is turned over to the City Council for an abatement hearing. If the abatement is granted and owner does not clean up the property, the City proceed to do it and bill the owner for the costs associated with it.


Does the DLPD allow civilian observers or ride-a-longs? 

Generally, ride-a-longs are not allowed. Special exceptions apply to those actively seeking education or employment within the scope of law enforcement. Please contact the office for details. (218) 847-4222.

Where can I find information on Employment with the DLPD?

Announcements on open positions and the testing process will be posted on the newsroom section page when they are available.

If you have questions on being an out-of-state applicant, qualifications to be a Peace Officer in Minnesota, or searching for current job openings elsewhere in the state, please visit:

Minnesota POST Board Website


Can a get a DLPD patch for my collection or trade for one?

Sorry, but due to the amount of requests we receive, we cannot accommodate patch requests or trades.